Thursday, November 22, 2012

Simple GNU/Linux kernel rootkit?

It's fucking busy on day job recently. But I still couldn't forget the most important thing: Night job. Hacking on security stuff is much fun than other technique field. Endless functional testing did really fucked my mind. I need a fresh air and take a deep breathe...PM 2.5 is fucking high in Beijing, shit*Why should I be here? I really want to go back to hometown if I can work at home. Wait a min, where is my fucking home? Switchfoot told us that we do not belong here-_-

hmm..I bullshited a lot again...Let's talk about this example program. It's a simple rootkit for GNU/Linux kernel and it was implemented via kprobe mechanism, which is provided by kernel itself. kprobe is very powerfull and it was designed for kernel debugging. Or, we could use it do our things. You known, as a security guy, makes your hands dirty in the kernel land is just matter of time. This rootkit allows use normal users do the root's business.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Show time:
root@sl13:/home/john/dumb_rootkit# make
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.39-smp/build/ M=/home/john/dumb_rootkit modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.39'
  CC [M]  /home/john/dumb_rootkit/dumb_rootkit.o
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1 modules
  CC      /home/john/dumb_rootkit/dumb_rootkit.mod.o
  LD [M]  /home/john/dumb_rootkit/dumb_rootkit.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.39'
root@sl13:/home/john/dumb_rootkit# insmod dumb_rootkit.ko 
root@sl13:/home/john/dumb_rootkit# exit
exit
john@sl13:~/dumb_rootkit$ /usr/sbin/iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         
john@sl13:~/dumb_rootkit$ dmesg -c
[ 5700.687828] Planted jprobe at c10ffb20, handler addr d8e32000
[ 5707.502249] jprobe: filename: /usr/bin/id from bash, pid = 6393, uid = 0, gid = 0
[ 5728.728063] jprobe: filename: /usr/sbin/iptables from bash, pid = 6394, uid = 0, gid = 0
[ 5730.936214] jprobe: filename: /bin/dmesg from bash, pid = 6395, uid = 0, gid = 0
--------------------------------------------------------------------

What the fuck was going on? no more explains, plz RTFSC.....

Today is Thanksgiving Day. I'm celebrating this holiday but I'm not a Yankee. I'm a christian but I'm not very religious. I get used to call myself a "neo-calvinist technological christian". It's quite long name, isn't it? The matter is that name is not important anymore. In the cyber space( internet?), it doesn't fucking matter who you are or how rich you are. Even we( hackers?) don't care about your sexy ass. The idea is the only matter!

Thank God, Phrack is still running...and, never better!

May L0rd's hacking spirit guide us!!!

btw: I was drinking PAULANER while I was writing this shit-_-

No comments: